Saturday, June 30, 2012

Patriot's Point

Last week when my dad and sister were visiting, we took a visit to local Patriot's Point, a military museum where you can check out a WWII-era aircraft carrier. Did I ever tell you I have a weird thing for military aircraft? Loathe and abhor war, can't wrap my mind around the celebration of military culture, and am horrified by violence....  but give me a B52 or a F18, and you can't tear me away. Weird, but true.

This is the USS Yorktown, named after the Yorktown that was sunk the Battle of Midway. This aircraft carrier was heavily involved with the WWII battles with Japan in the Pacific, the Doolittle Raid, a support vessel for nuclear bomb testing on Bimini Island, and it scooped Jim Lovell and Apollo 8 out of the ocean after successfully orbiting the moon (Apollo did, not the aircraft carrier).


 This is what it looks like to be on the deck on an aircraft carrier, looking back. Note that on Navy aircraft like these, they find ways to fold up the wings to make the planes more compact in order to fit more on the carrier. 

 ... and looking forward.

 This might be difficult to see, so allow me to explain. 'Air Group Five' is dated 31 Aug 1943 - 30 Apr 1944.  'Air Group One' is 6 June 1944 to 26 July 1944, and 'Air Group Three' is 24 Oct 1944 to 6 Mar 1945. The red flags indicate a Japanese aircraft that was shot down by this carrier. The next columns are hard to see, but they're little ducks. The ducks are each Japanese aircraft that was on the ground (sitting ducks?) that were destroyed. In the column beside that are tallies of Japanese boats that were destroyed, and that were damaged. 
You can click on the picture to make it bigger.

 Looking through the afterburners of an F-18 Hornet. 
Trust me, you don't want to be standing here if they turn those things on.

 F-18 Hornet. This is the primary fighter aircraft that the Canadian Air Force (RCAF) uses.


Note how the F-14's wings fold back. Once it's in flight, the wings extend out.

 F-14 Tomcat. "I feel the need, the need, for speed!"  
COME ON PEOPLE:  It's the aircraft that Tom flew in Top Gun!

 That black thing sticking out of the water is a submarine. Usually you can tour it too, but it's closed for maintenace. 
A huge disappointment for me, because I also have an inexplicable interest in submarines, 
but have never had the chance to see inside one!

 Huh. A sidewinder. Now that's something you don't see everyday.


 These are the actual bunks that the crew used. 28 to a room, in triple bunks. 
I think the snoring in that room might be enough to send me over the deep end.


 Torpedo.

 I'm afraid to step on the third rung of a ladder. I think I'm gonna have to pass on the backpack helicopter.

 So very very American.

They have a small museum for the Congressional Medal of Honour. I explained to the (extremely bored) children that these medals were for very special people who were very very extra brave. Tomio said, "Can I have one? I'm vewy vewy bwave."   (This from the child who is afraid of the Cheese String Man commercials.)
I had to tell him that they were only for grown ups.

 ... except that the youngest ever recipient was only 12 years old.

 I took a few photos of real ones, but they didn't turn out, so these giant size models will have to do. 
Different styles for Army, Navy, and Air Force, respectively.

 "The Medal of Honor epitomizes the very best of what America stands for and honors the gallant individuals who have received it. These special peple represent the very heart and soul of America. They come from all walks of life and nearly every state in our great nation. They truly reflect the ethnic, cultural, economic, and education diversity of America, but they have a common bond: They are the recipients of the Medal of Honor, The highest award for military heroism."  
- President George H. W. Bush.



  I forget what aircraft this was. 


 "USS Yorktown
11 Battle Stars WWII
Presidential Unity Citation WWII
"The Fighting Lady" began her combat career against the Japanese in August 1943 and participated significantly in the Pacific Offensive that ended with the defeat of Japan in August 1945. Recommissioned in 1953 too late to see action off Korea, she did receive 4 Battle Stars for service off Vietnam."

That's Apollo 8, splashed down safely in the ocean after orbiting the moon, with the Yorktown behind. 

All in all, it was fascinating to see and experience the Yorktown, and see what life was like for the brave men who called her home.  I still struggle with reconciling war in my mind, and I struggle to explain it to the kids. Especially because Japan was such a major aggressor, and was the 'bad guy' in a fairly recent war. They know that Baba and Jiji are from Japan, and I struggle to find words for 3-and-4-year-olds how to reconcile their love for their grandparents with the information that only a couple generations ago, the Japanese were the 'bad guys'. I feel so lucky to live where and when I do - - my ancestors and my husband's were sworn enemies, and only a few years ago our marriage would have been impossible.
I asked Johnny about it, but I think he's one generation too far away and born and raised in Canada, so he doesn't feel any kinship with the Japanese who fought and died in WWII.  I can only hope that our children will someday live in a world where every person can marry any person they choose, regardless of nationality, culture, or gender. 

No comments: